Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I just read my post from when 2009 was new and I quoted some excellent writers and verses (click here if you'd like to read it). But what's sort of funny is that in talking about setting goals and making resolutions I admit that I am not the strongest resolver. Well, that's an understatement. I can't even find my 2009 resolutions! They are on the back page of a book or notebook, that I know, but so far no luck in locating which book. I may have resolved to limit or give up Diet Coke -- I hope so. Because that I did! After decades of Diet Coke gluttony, I went cold turkey in October. It's quite strange to not have empty bottles rolling around my car -- that irritating trait has been part of me for so long!

But honestly I'm just not a long-term planner. I thrive on deadlines, not well-laid plans. For example, at Thanksgiving I decided I would read from John to Revelation in the New Testament by the end of the year, and today, one day late, I finished. I need short-term pressure, otherwise I just find a way to procrastinate. So knowing that about myself I've tried to build some weekly and monthly accountability into my 2010 resolutions.

Like everyone else there are some things that I need to do in 2010. And there are many things I'd really like to do. But perhaps one of the most important things that followers of Christ can do in starting a New Year right is to remember the wisdom of Paul in Galatians 3.

"Are you so foolish?" Paul asks, "After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?" Galatians 3:3.

I love that whole passage, but especially that verse. It's so direct, so unambiguous, so unapologetic. It's like Paul is speaking to me when I read it: "Kristie, are you a buffoon or what? You keep going back to human effort. Do you not know that Jesus said apart from Him you can do nothing?"

So may we "cease striving and know that [He is] God." Psalm 46:10 (NAS). And may our 2010 be a year of abiding in the true vine, knowing that apart from Him we can do nothing.

From Jude's salutation, "Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" this year.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I read your blog from last year...recalling the line from the SNL skit: "I'm just not that strong of a swimmer." It's funny the things that make us laugh...and laugh. I'm not that "strong of a resolver" either. I think your advice about setting short term goals is exactly what I need. I've made three resolutions: Pray more, write more and lose the 6-8 extra pounds I've been carrying around for the last year or so.

One resolution I DID manage to keep last year was to not buy any bigger clothing (that I could actually fit into). So on the very few days that I can't wear my pajamas or sweat pants all day I've had to endure uncomfortably tight pants.

I think your advice from Paul is perfect and since praying more is the first step to getting beyond our failing "human effort" I guess I'm at least on the right track.

Kim said...

I needed to read this right now! thanks for the reminder that to abide is enough. that is where the fruit will come. bless you, friend.
so grateful for you!

Kristie said...

Kim and Laurie, thanks so much for your sweet words of encouragement. Laurie, I don't just not buy bigger clothes, I buy smaller, and then that really leaves me in a predicament. Ahh, but I've done some sort of exercise every day this year. All four days! But a start, right?! Keep this up and I might get to wear some of the skinny, ever-new clothes in my closet.

The Jackson Family said...

Kristie - Just finished blogging and referenced your post. Just what I needed to read. Thanks for always being such a wonderful encouragement. xoxo, Sara