Monday, November 9, 2009

Guidance: Who Needs a Mentor?

I've taken a couple weeks off from blogging because my family traveled to San Diego last week and trips tend to set me back, way back. Even just the preparatory and post-vacation laundry is ridiculously consuming for me; I don't know why. Not that it isn't well, well worth it. We had a fabulous time, and I can hardly keep myself from dreaming up some scheme to get back there.

But I'm also excited to finish up blogging about Celebration of Discipline. This book has been consistently enlightening and challenging, and these last two chapters are no different. In fact, I've met a number of people who've told me they've started Celebration but never finished it, and that's such a shame. Because, in my opinion, the last chapter is the best of all. So please check back on Thursday for the final installment: the discipline of celebration.

Richard Foster breaks this chapter into two parts, corporate guidance and individual guidance. I've not had the opportunity to experience guidance in the corporate form, but cannot overemphasize the importance of it on an individual basis. As I've mentioned many times in the past, I did the fellows program of the C.S. Lewis Institute (find out more here). A mentoring relationship is a vital component of the program and my two lovely mentors (Linda for Year 1 and Nancy for Year 2) were and are a blessing beyond measure in my life. They encouraged me, prayed for me, listened to me, gave me direction, held me accountable, invested in me with the love and compassion. They helped me set goals and implement truths we encountered in our study together. Everyone needs a mentor. The problem is identifying the right person to fulfill this need.

The best first step is to start praying about finding a mentor. I believe God wants us to have someone investing in us, and I believe He will answer this prayer. The verse that is, in essence, the mission statement of this blog is a call to "spur one another on to love and good deeds." (Hebrews 10:24) So if you know someone who might be able to mentor you, to spur you on, be bold and ask, and ask them to pray about mentoring you too. If you don't know anyone, maybe start inquiring at church or at Bible study.

I'll be praying that some Spur readers will be spurred on this week to seek out a mentor. I'll be praying that just the right person is willing to share themselves with you and serve God in this way.

1 comment:

Megan Orsini said...

that is a great directive encouragement! I have never had a mentor, but have often wondered how (and why) you go about having one...a dear friend just recently asked for one to mentor her in financial stewardship!

I appreciated the reminder to be BOLD and ask someone (after prayer) and to also back up that boldness with the truth that whomever God calls to be a mentor will be doing a work for Him more than for me!

Thanks again!