Thursday, August 6, 2009

Purposeful Prayer, Part 3

The last few weeks I’ve been blogging about prayer. It started when my almost six-year-old was ill. He was coughing his darling little head off but he didn’t want me to pray about it because he said, and I quote, “it won’t work!” This thought-provoking and heartbreaking statement keeps coming to mind, and my last two posts have been spurred by Nate’s fear of unanswered prayer.

This week I’d like to focus our discussion a bit and begin looking at the purpose of prayer. Take a minute to think about why you pray. Many people, whether they are Christ-followers or not, pray in times of crises. Others pray because they seek peace; others seek relationship. Some pray to change their circumstances, others to change their hearts. Some seek forgiveness, others direction. It is good to think about why and what we pray, but I believe the ultimate purpose of prayer is to align our will with the will of our Heavenly Father. The Lord’s Prayer illustrates this submission (“thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”) and the prayer of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane is radically submissive. (My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26: 39).

I don’t know how often this alignment of wills is the driving force behind my prayers, but certainly not often enough. Yet as we walk with God, as we are sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, our pleas and our desires should more and more reflect this vision of unity: “Heavenly Father, let my will be yours.”

But how do we get there? We don’t wake up one day and simply decide that our self-centered ways are over, that His good, pleasing and perfect will is now ours. There is no victory in mere human effort. No, this is a work of God. Yet we are also somehow partners in the endeavor—our spirit needs to be willing to embrace and live according to His Spirit. We cannot expect our will to reflect His without dedication and discipline in pursuing Him.

A smaller, more manageable step, we can take in pursuing His will for our lives, is to worship our Heavenly Father in prayer. A cursory glance at any section of the Bible reveals God's desire to be first in our lives. It is the first and greatest commandment and is a constant theme throughout God's Word. J. Oswald Sanders noted that we "should worship God in gratitude for what He has done for us, but our worship reaches a higher level when we adore Him simply for what He is, for the perfection and excellence of His own being.” (Prayer Power Unlimited).

And because God is always giving us the tools we need to accomplish His will, He has given us the Psalms. Sanders, and other great saints, recommend reading the Psalms and turning them into our own personal prayers.

I do this on occasion, but not as often as I should. My favorite Psalm to pray is 103 because He has indeed redeemed my life from a pit and crowned me with love and compassion.

This week may we worship our God (our loving Father, our devoted Savior and our omnipresent Counselor) through purposeful prayer.



3 comments:

Elizabeth Mcburney said...

Hi sweet friend. Your prayer about our will matches with what God has been saying to me too.

Basically, I've been asking "what is your yoke, Jesus, that is easy and your burden, which is light"?

His answer to me: "communion with the father" is the light and easy yoke.

Which is: when our will is in His will, we have perfect communion with him and burdens become light.

Caitlin said...

Krist, the thoughts are undoubtedly divine.

Elizabeth, though I have never met you, I consider you a friend! Haha. Reason being: I shared what you commented here with a dear friend of mine who is struggling with what her next step is. Asking Jesus what are His yoke and burden - that which is easy and light - is such a good question. And always the answer: intimacy with Him. How sweet! Thank you for sharing those thoughts with Kristie, enabling me to pass them along further! Hope you don't mind. :)

Kristie said...

Elizabeth, yours is a beautiful statement of being fully devoted, fully committed in communion and it illustrates the paradox that this is indeed the path to the easy yoke and light burden. Thanks for reading and commenting my sweet friend.