Friday, July 10, 2009

Moving Top Ten

I've been blogging for nearly a year, and have never gone this long between posts, but circumstances have just not been conducive to sitting at the computer for more than a few seconds, and six of the last ten days we have not had Internet in our home. I have an iPhone, but I still missed the ready of the real thing, the tidbits of information that I rely so heavily on. The other day my son Will asked, "how long do cats stay alive?" Great question, but without the Internet I can only guess. We are now fully wired and wireless and so next week I hope to resume my usual weekly schedule. For now, I thought I'd share a quick top ten about moving.
  1. You unearth lovely items you forgot you had.
  2. You unearth ridiculous items no one should ever have and then throw them away.
  3. The slate is clean in a new space, and organization seems attainable. I can look around and envision a place for everything, and everything in its place. It may never be achieved, but at least it seems possible.
  4. Movers remind me something of the greatest generation; they are like the greatest vocation. Each time we've had occasion to use them they have worked their tails off with a spirit of joy. The Peruvian crew we had last week was a particularly merry and tireless band of oxen.
  5. Whenever I move I like to make a mental list of all the places I can easily walk to. And the world is my walking oyster in this new place. So exciting! I can even walk the boys to school.
  6. Moving demonstrates how much stuff you have, and ignites a fire to simplify.
  7. And yes we have too much stuff, but this move is one of reunification of our things, and it feels good to have all our belongings in one place. I found it challenging, mentally, to pay that storage bill. Storage seems like such a wasteful thing.
  8. New neighbors are another perk. Will and I have had great neighbors wherever we've lived, but it's always nice to make new friends too. Plus, I'm pretty sure our neighbors from our condo are rejoicing about our departure. The indoor mowing and plastic trucks and obnoxious and persistent noise level that we create is just not appropriate for sharing walls.
  9. New places mean new windows, and I love learning where I can relax with a book and enjoy the warmth of the sun. Our new place has an astounding number of windows, and faces west so the possibilities for reading and basking are many.
  10. Finally, moving is a great reminder that this life is transient. We aren't ever going to be fully settled, fully content, or fully at home, because this isn't our home. The more we realize this reality the more our outlook and priorities align with our Heavenly Father's, and that means greater contentment and fulfillment in this life...however transient!


No comments: