Monday, December 8, 2008

The Seven Deadly Sins: Sloth

Outside of Nickelodeon's Go, Diego, Go! which features a talking, three-toed variety, you really don't hear the word sloth very often. In its simplest form sloth is really just plain laziness. So would you consider yourself lazy?

It is easy for me to think about all the stuff I do as a mother of three boys, and quickly conclude that laziness is not currently an issue in my life. I do not watch television (except sports on weekends with my family) and some days I barely get to sit down. But once again my interpretation has been a bit too convenient, because it's really not about what you do as much as the attitude of your heart.

One of the books that I've been reading talks about how depression is linked to the sin of sloth. (What Your Counselor Never Told You, William Backus). Dr. Backus didn't use Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh as an example, but really he could have. He so fits the description of the person who readily listens to that negative inner voice. Certainly clinical depression oftentimes has a chemical component, but can't you just picture someone like Eeyore in a downward spiral emotionally, believing they cannot do this and they cannot do that. Assuming that person doesn't like them, and that nothing really matters. I think we all have those voices, and I think anyone would end up like poor little Eeyore if they listened to them.

I am currently vacationing in beautiful Park City, Utah. The last few years I've had this intense desire to snowboard. I am six feet tall which means I have a long way to fall. And I can ski pretty well, so I really do not understand why, at thirty-six, I have this thirst to ride. But I do, so today Will and I took a break from the dreaded ski boots and enrolled in our second riding lesson. After a nasty wipe-out, which is currently memorialized by a giant and throbbing left knee, we took our lunch break. I sat there feeling pretty sorry for myself, thinking about how complicated life would be if I tore something or broke something, thinking about how bummed I'd be if I didn't get to ski with my little boys any more this week.

But then it hit me. I've been studying about sloth, about how it is an attitude of the heart, how at its core it's a denial of Philippians 4:13 which says that "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (NIV). And as truth often does, that changed my whole perspective. I may have torn cartilage in my knee, I may have broken my coccyx too (although I really don't think I did either), but I need not worry. I need not be like Eeyore or the tired little engine in the The Little Engine That Could. I may have a voice in my head that says, "I cannot. I cannot. I cannot." But the great news is I don't have to listen to it!

The message of the Bible is the exact opposite of nay saying Eeyore, and is even better than that of the noble little blue engine. The Bible says that I should always be telling myself that, through Christ, "I know I can. I know I can. I know I can."

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, Kristie! I so hope that you are better...I didn't tell you my snowboarding experience with the hopes that no broken/sprained/injured body parts would happen to you...(b/c that's what happened to me!!)

Great entry and SOO right on.
Blessings.

The Jackson Family said...

Great post! I love reading your thoughts and look forward to catching up on your blog. We had such an incredible time and miss you guys already.

Caitlin said...

Just re-read this. Over a year later and yet truth holds true! :) Such a great post. So thankful for your gift to articulate good perspective.